Asa Singh Mastana was a folkloric Punjabi musician and singer. He Actuality was famous during the 1940s. After the 1960s, when the state-run All India Radio started promoting folk musicians, they had almost one cult, with Surinder Kaur and Kuldeep Manak on the list.
Mastana was identified for his voice in the hit Bollywood film “Heer”. His main style of singing was the ‘Jugni’ and ‘Heer’ style of folk songs, which reveal the stories of Heer-Ranjha written by the poet Waris Shah.
Mastana was born on 22 August 1927 in the village of Sheikhupur in Punjab to parents Sardar Pritam Singh and Bibi Amrit Kaur. He has been fond of singing since childhood.
Asa Singh Mastana Life?
He earned his music training from Pandit Durga Prasad. But he didn’t need a teacher for long! Singing for Mastana was a God-given spirit, and he had a good eye for songs and poetry. His clear mind and sharp vision helped him at every turn of his musical journey.
Asa Singh Mastana signified one of the vocalists who were academically skilled at that time. He completed his B.A. Graduation From Khalsa College, Lahore, a year before partition. He was also a classmate of former Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
- Gurdas Maan Biography Age Height Family & Unseen Facts
- Diljit Dosanjh Biography,Age, Height, Wife Name
In 1949, his first post-partition song, “Thandiye Hawaye Kihde Paase Tu Aayi Ae”, was released on the radio. After partition, he made a living in Delhi where he also worked for the Reserve Bank of India. He worked there until retiring as an officer a few years later.
After serving in a bank for such a long time, his personality was such that he shifted strictly with money, and although it did not raise his income or prize money, he still made it easy for all his staff members. Divided by. He said that “not a single penny was lost from me”
He remained active for most of the year, singing with famous Punjabi singer and lyricist Surinder Kaur. In 40 years they have sung together, this duo has given us many evergreen Punjabi songs. He also sang with Parkash Kaur for some time.
Mastana not only performed live with Surinder Kaur but also recorded studio albums. Sadly, in the last years of Mastana’s life, they both sang differently, which they regret.
Asa Singh Mastana Songs
Here is the complete songs list of Asa Singh Mastana that the audience loved it.
- Kali Teri Gut
- Jat Oharhde Mirze Khannu
- Kulli Rah Wich Pai Asan Tere
- Baagan Wich Beliyan feat. Surinder Kaur
- Lai Khabar Na Kujh Heer
- Phir Tun Tun Toomba feat. Surinder Kaur
- Mele Nun Chal Mere Naal
- Sawan Da Mahina AA Gaya
- Main Door Chala Jawanga
- Lai Khabar Na Kujh
- Peke Jaan Waliye
- Sarke Sarke Jandiye Mutiare
- Bolian-Bagan Wich feat. Surinder Kaur
- Bale Ni Punjab Diye Sher Bachie
- Mainu Tera Shabab Lai Betha
- Peke Jaan
- Kaka Jam Piya Asa Singh Mastana
- Mele Nuchal Mere Nal Kurhe
- Kaka Jam Piya
- Barin Barsin Khattan Geya
Interesting and Achivements
- Asa Singh Mastana Singer to awarded the ‘Padma Shri’ in 1985 year
- He also won the Sangeet Natya Academy award in 1986.
- Mastana had been a member of several cultural delegations abroad.
- He is also known as the ‘milestone’ of Punjabi music! But despite the many achievements, it is important to note that Mastana does not have any LP records of its own.
- His most famous songs are – Balle Ni Panjaab Diye Sher Bachiye”, “Doli Charhdeyan Marian Heer Cheekaan” and “Kali Teri Gut”, have served as templates for later Punjabi musicians
Frequent Asked Question For Asa Singh Mastana
How Did Asa Singh Get His Mastana Name?
His parents named him Asa Singh. However, the word ‘Mastan’ was added to his name by one of his teachers when he was only in 6th class! The story goes like this – one day he was doing a lot of mischief at school, for which his teacher said, “Oye Asya, tu badi mastaniya kr reha hai.” Then he got to know his Mastana word
When Asa Singh Mastana Died?
The singer passed away on 23rd May 1999 due to a prolonged illness